October 15, 2016 2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York
1000 5th Ave
Courtesans, royal mistresses, scandalous women of every sort—the walls of the Metropolitan Museum are lined with them, from ancient Greek hetaeras to Sargent’s Madame X. These sexy women—often educated, wealthy, or even powerful—were not only key members of the political and cultural elites of their time, but also the fascinating subjects of some of our greatest art. But who were they? What were their stories? How did they fascinate patrons and artists alike?
To find out, join us as we explore the lives and loves that lie behind the paintings. On this fun and informative 2-hour Metropolitan Museum tour, we will learn about:
– the courtesan who modeled for the first female nude statue in ancient Greece
– the oiran of the pleasure quarter of 18th century Tokyo
– a Venetian courtesan who published books of poetry
– the official royal mistresses of the French kings
– the ballerinas of the Paris Opéra and their “patrons”
– the lurid and frightening image of the 19th century femme fatale
And so much more…
Come discover the racy and intriguing backstories behind the Metropolitan Museum’s collections. Shady Ladies Tours will change the way you see the museum—and art itself—forever.
Tickets are selling out fast so book your tickets today. See all available tours –> bit.ly/1Sn2DGO
Ticket price includes museum admission.
Follow on Twitter: —-> bit.ly/1RTc3d1
Instagram: —-> @ShadyLadiesTours
Join Our Community: —> Shady Ladies of the Metropolitan Museum
All our tours are educational and suitable for visitors 16 or older: New Yorkers and out-of-towners, straight and LGBT.